RE: Syntax explanations

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: RE: Syntax explanations
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:26:24 -0600

I think you only need the 5 on the major triad.  Once you put any of the
modifiers for the other triads, it automatically knows it's a triad unless
there is a larger extent.  Only the major triad has no modifier, so it needs an
extent before you start modifying.

We had some discussion a while ago on -user about having maj be a modifier that
means a major triad, and maj7 be for a major seventh chord.  However, the sense
was overwhelmingly against adding it.  People didn't want to have a C major
chord be named as c:maj; they wanted it to just be c.  With your work, I think
we should add a feature request to make c be equivalent to c:maj.  I don't know
how much work that would be, but I don't think it should be much.  Personally,
I'd rather have your table list 'maj' for a major triad than "5".

Thanks,

Carl