Re: Git push commands

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Git push commands
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 00:46:29 +0000 (UTC)

Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold <at> kainhofer.com> writes:

> Am Freitag, 4. Juli 2008 schrieb Carl D. Sorensen:
> > What should I do different to avoid the merge commit every time I push?
>
> I do "git pull" very often, typically before I do a git commit locally. This
> way, your changes are then realative to HEAD (=the lateste commit on the
> server). If you don't have any local commits on HEAD, you won't get a merge
> commit.
> Of course, if there are any conflicts, you'll have to resolve them anyway
> (git
> pull would also require this).

For the record, what I found that works right is to do just what Reinhold
suggested.

I get my code fixed up and ready to go, then i do

git pull origin master

This merges (and commits) the latest changes in my repository.

Then I do

git commit -a

which commits my changes.

Then I do

git push

which pushes my changes to origin, and gives me only one commit message.

So the trick is to pull before committing, rather than after.

Carl