GDP: Some queries concerning markup commands

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: GDP: Some queries concerning markup commands
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 17:57:01 +0100

Hi everybody,

Now that I've done example snippets for the majority of the commands
in define-markup-commands.scm, I have a few queries concerning the
following items; I'd be grateful if anybody can suggest solutions to
these problems:

1. \fontCaps

This needs a font with caps style to work properly. I've checked the
installed fonts on my system, but can't see any which support this
style, even though I have texlive-base installed which includes
Computer Modern.

2. \simple

I've only noticed this being used for markup inside Scheme functions;
is there any reason why one might need this for normal markup usage?

3. \ralign, \hcenter and their equivalents using \general-align & \halign

I've done examples for these (see B.6, Align), but they seem to be
misaligned, e.g., the arrow above the example for \ralign is not
aligned with the right edge. Is this a bug?

4. \justify-field and \wordwrap-field

I've searched the archives, but I can't find any examples where these
commands have been used.

I see from the source that they use chain-assoc-get on props to find a
symbol, but where would this symbol be placed in a .ly file and
assigned some data?

5. \pad-around, \pad-markup, \pad-to-box, \pad-x

Do these work properly, or am I misunderstanding how they should be used?

Here's a snippet using \pad-x:

\markup { foo \pad-x #7 { bar } baz }

If `bar' is padded by seven spaces either side, why doesn't it move
away from `foo'? The padding only seems to work on the right hand
side, i.e., `baz' moves seven spaces to the right.

6. \stencil

I'd like to use the dimension-arrows function from stencil.scm to
demonstrate this, but it produces an empty stencil in the docs; output
from a .ly file is fine. Shouldn't it work in the same way as the
other stencil funtions, such as make-circle-stencil?

7. \strut

I understand this is probably broken, but can anybody suggest a
minimal example which should work to verify this?

The only example I've seen using this is the following, which is a bit
too involved:

\version "2.10.1"
\header
{
   myIndex = "No 210"

   myGap = #8.0
   myTitle = "|AZERTYUIOP|"
   mySubtitle = "|AZERTYUIOP|"

   title = \markup {
     \override #`(word-space . ,myGap)
     \line \large {

       \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(0 . 0)
         \right-align \fromproperty #'header:myIndex
       \fromproperty #'header:myTitle
       \with-dimensions #'(0 . 0) #'(0 . 0) \strut
   }}

   subtitle = #mySubtitle
}

\score {c''}