Re: GDP: only 3 weeks left

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: GDP: only 3 weeks left
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:22:41 +0100

John, you wrote

I finally begin to find little time to read and proofread post-GDP
docs, and I especially would like to proofread (not translate right
now) LM 3: there are  some ends of sentences with cross-references
which look strangely phrased in Info output, and there are minor
errors like in 3.3.4 Modifying context properties:

"""
This is one of the reasons why it is highly recommended to use a
context-sensitive editor with syntax highlighting for editing LilyPond
input files, such as Vim, Jedit, ConTEXT or Emacs, since unknown
property names will be highlighted differently.
"""

There is no list of context properties in Emacs and Vim modes, so all
context properties are highlighted the same way regardless of their
existence.  Jedit/LilyPondTool doesn't check context properties when
it highlights them, although you can verify that a context property in
your source file exists by moving the mouse pointer over the property
name: if it exists, its docstring appears in a bullet.  I agree it'd
be nice to check context properties, but until this feature is added
the sentence above is wrong.

I haven't used Emacs or Vim for editing LilyPond files, so this assertion
was based on comments I'd gleaned, obviously wrongly, from -user.

I -am- familiar with ConTEXT, and its LilyPond highlighter certainly has
a list of all properties, or at least it had when I downloaded it about a
year ago.  The original list would be a little out of date now, but it is
easily edited.  So if a property name is misspelt it is not highlighted.

Trevor, may I work on LM 3 and push such minor corrections directly to
Git master?  I think this will be more efficient for than sending a
list of comments in an email.  Of course I'll send an email for
general suggestions and before making important changes.

Sure, go ahead.  I prefer you to do it that way.   I'll see your changes
in git, and will comment if I think you've screwed anything up ;)

Cheers,
John

Trevor