Three questions for ancient.itely

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Three questions for ancient.itely
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:55:49 +0200

I'm working on the docs for ancient music, and I've come across a number of
things that relate not primarily to the documentation, but to the program
itself:

1. Is there a good reason why it takes the monstruous
\override Staff.Accidental #'glyph-name-alist =
#alteration-mensural-glyph-name-alist
to change the Accidental style of a piece, in contrast to the
simple syntax for time signature and clef styles? Heck, even the flag style
can be changed with a simple setting...
IIRC, it used to be much simpler -- why this change? Any chance of a \set
syntax?

2. One of the "known issues" under flags states:

        The attachment of ancient flags to stems is slightly off due to a
        change in early 2.3.x.

About time to fix that, is it...?

3. The form "Episem" is used, both as a lilypond command and in the
documentation text. Since it's not really a medieval concept at all, but a
term invented by the Solesmes monks when plainchant was revised/-vived in
the late nineteenth century, it is not an established term in any language
other than french, where it is episeme (and it doesn't appear neither in
Merriam-Webster nor in the full OED). If anything, Episem is the german
form.  I would strongly recommend going with the latinized greek "episema",
which is what the Vatican editions have.

This may be too small a matter to merit a change in the lilypond code, but
I intend to change to episema in the documentation text, unless there are
strong objections to it.

Eyolf

--
Mate, this parrot wouldn't VOOM if you put four million volts through it!
                -- Monty Python