Re: [GUB3] How should Guile and Flex be built?

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: [GUB3] How should Guile and Flex be built?
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:55:55 +0100

On wo, 2009-02-18 at 11:48 +0100, John Mandereau wrote:

> After a successful bootstraping stage, I tried "make -f lilypond.make"
> and "make -f lilypond.make installers"; both failed with the attached log.

Weird.  Dependencies seem to be failing utterly.  But how?  Han-Wen,
any great ideas?

> In bootstraping, Flex and Guile are built for target "tools", which I
> find strange, whereas they are not built for each target platform.  I
> also miss Python building.  What are the recommended commands to build
> these three depencdencies before attempting at building Lily binaries?

You did what is recommended.  bin/gub however tells you exactly what
it is going to do in its 'must rebuild' line, eg

    $ LIBRESTRICT=open:stat nice bin/gub --keep mingw::lilypond
    calculating dependencies
    must rebuild[mingw]: glib pango pthreads-w32 python urw-fonts lilypad
tools::icoutils linux-x86::cross/binutils linux-x86::cross/gcc-core
linux-x86::glibc-core linux-x86::cross/gcc linux-x86::glibc tools::scons
tools::nsis lilypond
    [..]

the target that librestrict gets is [PLATFORM::]lilypond, which is
exactly what lilypond.make will do.

If you need, you can look-up the dependencies in gub/specs/lilypond.py:
_get_build_dependencies (), and see what's installed already by doing

   bin/gpkg -p mingw list

Hmm, come to think of it, you had *another* problem with dependencies,
the librestrict-open thing...

How hard is it for you to install another python and try that?
Does fedora carry python2.4 or python2.6 (or even python3) packages
that you can install alongside your 2.5.1, for example.

Jan.