Re: emacs and/or git texinfo-all-menus-update brokenness

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: emacs and/or git texinfo-all-menus-update brokenness
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:01:37 -0000

Graham Percival wrote Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:35 PM

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 02:30:59PM -0000, Trevor Daniels wrote:

Graham, maybe you could look into this, as I've
noticed trailing spaces on menu items several
times before.  I seem to remember your saying
you have a macro or some code which generates
the menus when you edit the doc files. If so,
could you please double check it doesn't add
trailing spaces.  Ta.

Pure chance I saw this; I have about 30 unread lilypond devel
emails.

Bad news is that the emacs texinfo-all-update-menus macro *always*
adds the trailing spaces.  Jan told me not to worry about it
approximately five years ago, so I've never worried about it.

The trailing spaces are not a problem normally, but
on this occasion they have been.  Jonathan sent me
a patch which would not apply until I removed a
trailing space from the target file.  After pushing
both changes, Jonathan then had a conflict with
that file on his next pull - a problem for someone
not yet overly familiar with git.  We shall have to
educate all contributors to a reasonable level in git
or avoid adding these trailing spaces somehow.

More technical people, both on the git side, and on the emacs side
(the only reason I ever touch emacs is to run this macro), could
comment further.

Copied to -devel for helpful comments ...

Trevor