Re: Concert Pitch (a second try)

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Concert Pitch (a second try)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 23:22:51 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, address@hidden writes
On Sun, Apr 5, 2009, "Anthony W. Youngman"
<address@hidden> said:

Okay, we've got more feedback (isn't this fun :-).

welcome to electronic commiteedom :-)

1.64 Concert pitch

The convention (standardised by ISO 16) that A above middle C represents
the note at 440 Hertz. This is commonly notated by the statement
"A=440".

slight rewording -

The Convention (formally affirmed in 1975 as ISO 16) that musical
instruments shall be designed and tuned so that A4 ('A' above middle 'C')
sounds at 440HZ,  Concisely phrased as "A=440".

Sounds good.

There are many other conventions, such as "diapason normal" which was
established by French law as "A=435". Many of these conventions have
fallen into disuse, although there are orchestras which typically tune
to other pitches (usually pitching A slightly higher in order to sound
"brighter").

not quite on the mark for me.

Other reference pitches have been informally adopted and even legislated,
most  are now disused, but several orchestras and ensembles specializing
in early music adopt other reference pitches better suited to the replica
instruments they use.  Some modern orchestras perform at slightly higher
pitch (eg A=445) on the theory that "the violins sound brighter"; to the
consternation of the wind players.

This sounds very "cart before the horse". It's like when people say, for example, Yorkshire English is "wrong" because it's not the Queen's English. Hang on - Yorkshire English was in roughly its present form before the Queen's English was even thought of!

I think it's your use of "informally adopted" that jars - it implies that they've ignored the Standard, when the standard didn't even exist at the time.

Thinking conservativly, maybe we can leave off this last sentance.  Its
true enough, but perhaps inflamatory?

Regardless of the exact frequency of A, instruments which play the
standard frequency upon reading the note A

only the note A?  hmmmm.

Sorry to keep beating this horse, but it aint dead yet.  I think the
discussion is much easier to introduce with a little background, something
like this.

Many Orchestral instruments developed as families, varying by fundamental
pitch.  Composers will often take advantage of the contrasting tone colors
of these otherwise similar instruments, players have to be capable of
reading for each of them at sight.  It is challenging to maintain sight
reading skills on several instruments, eg  'C' Clarinet and 'A' clarinet,
where a particular note, say, D4, has different fingerings on each.  The
convention of writing some instruments parts in transposition is employed
to deal with this.

Certain instruments within each family are selected by convention to play
at the pitch that is notated, they are said to be 'in C', or 'at concert
pitch'.

What about those families (ie pretty much ALL the brass instruments) that don't have a member at concert pitch!

Interestingly, nearly all transposing instruments are fairly "new" in their modern form. I suspect the reason the trombone is such a funny instrument in that sense is that it is an old instrument (which is why it's written at concert pitch), but because every instrument it plays with in bands is a transposing instrument, it became a transposing instrument.

Music for the other menbers of each family is written transcribed
by an appropriate interval so that the fingerings, slide position,
valveing or whatever technique is associated with the written notes will
always be the same, and the piches produced will be as the composer
desired.  The player reading from a transposed part pretends to be playing
an instrument 'in C';  assuming the part was correctly transposed and the
player has the corresponding instrument in hand it all works out.

Typically, these are instruments
with multiple sounding parts such as tuned percussion or strings.

my first thought for 'tuned percussion' is tympani (which jars against the
concept of multiple sounding parts) maybe a more specific example?

The word "tympani" is plural :-) The tympani do have multiple sounding parts, one per drum ie several sounding parts for the "complete instrument" :-) Oddly enough, tympani was one of the first things I thought of, too...

 ... such as Marimba, Harp, Viola.

These are typically instruments with a single
sounding part such as brass and woodwind.

Counter examples are Guitar and Lute, both of which have awkward ranges
and use an octave G clef when noted in staff; often employing tablature (a
sortof transposing notation) to facillitate reading when used in families.
Do we need this at all?

It's so hard to be definitive. Anything we write will need to be just a guide and this distinction actually seems to cover most bases.

See also: "transposing intruments" and wikipedia entry

for concert pitch 'A440'.

enough in this post

I'm going to stick mostly with my definition of transposing instruments, but your concert pitch definition is pretty good - I'll lift most of that for my third attempt :-)

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden