Re: tab characters in the source code

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: tab characters in the source code
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 22:38:12 +0800

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 04:27:45PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Op donderdag 09-04-2009 om 22:14 uur [tijdzone +0800], schreef Graham
> Percival:
>
> > Oh, certainly.  But I think it would *also* be stupid to create a
> > programmer's edit, when vim is already perfect.  :P
>
> True.  Let's just keep manually formatting everything.  I mean,
> people's tastes differ for a reason.

Yeah.  It's not like there's any easy-to-learn languages that are
ideal for text editing.  Imagine having a perl/ directory in the
lilypond source code!  Oh, the catmanity!

> This has the additional advantage that the programmer implementing a
> piece of code can leave her signature more easily, by using ever so
> slightly indentation variations.  Others will then know to stay away
> from code sections that they do not 'own', so to say.

Oh sweet $DIETY yes.  I /hate/ it when people fix bugs in my code.
It's like, guys, I'm perfect, duh!  Like, I added those "bugs" for
a reason!

> > By the way, I *always* prefix LilyPond by an animal name when I
> > introduce it in my published papers.  :)
>
> Good.  Just picking a random animal for now -- until we settle for
> zebra -- should work.

Why limit it to animals?  Venus flytraps are moving, and have a
lifecycle.

I can see it now: CARBON-BASED LIFEFORM WITH A RELATIVELY SHORT
LIFESPAN ON THE COSMIC SCALE/LilyPond.

wow.  I should make an indie band with that title.  If one doesn't
already exist.  :)

> > Nah; Valentin will keep the legend of the Grumpy Developer alive
> > in times to come.  Long after humanity has colonized distant
> > stars, schoolchildren will be reading about the epic flamewars
> > involving Achilles, Trojan Horses, and whether or not we should
> > move all the CUTTLEFISH/LilyPond documentation into a wiki.
>
> Brilliant!  Let's define the MOOSE/coding standards in an Opera!

I'm leaning towards explaining about BLOWFISH/coding in a ballad.
Maybe a power ballad, with lots of fifths.