GUB3: M4 not accurately recognized?

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: GUB3: M4 not accurately recognized?
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 00:51:48 -0700

Hello,

I am trying to build a mingw LilyPond installer, but I am running into
a problem at the tools::bison configure stage.

It seems that the GUB-installed M4 is not being recognized as GNU M4
>= 1.4.  The end of the config.log:

  configure:6456: checking for gm4
  configure:6489: result: no
  configure:6456: checking for gnum4
  configure:6489: result: no
  configure:6456: checking for m4
  configure:6474: found /home/pnorcks/git/gub/target/tools/root/usr/bin/m4
  configure:6486: result: /home/pnorcks/git/gub/target/tools/root/usr/bin/m4
  configure:6497: checking whether m4 supports frozen files
  configure:6509: result: no
  configure:6512: error: GNU M4 1.4 is required

I compared the output of `m4 --help' for my system M4 and the
GUB-installed M4, and the output is the same.  This seems odd, since
it looks like bison's configure is checking for GNU M4's
`reload-state' option.

>From a fresh build, if I do

$ bin/gub tools::bison
$ bin/gub tools::flex
$ bin/gub mingw::lilypond-installer

everything works fine until the lilypond-installer stage.  Checking
the logs, bison and flex find my /usr/bin/m4 and use that.

Thanks,
Patrick