Re: Documentation/essay/

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Documentation/essay/
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 00:03:45 -0700

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 08:35:15AM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> 2009/7/9 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

-snip details for now-

> I'm so sick and tired of hacking makefiles that I seriously consider
> trying scons to build the website, which would make a first try before
> possibly switch to it for LilyPond too (if it is allowed by GNU); so
> unless there is any urgent need to massively split directories, I'm
> not keen on supporting this right now.

Well, the website is current built with:
  texi2html -I=$(imagedir) -I=$(exampledir) --output=$(outdir) \
  --init-file=web-texi2html.init --split=section lilypond-general.texi
so doing this with SCons would be a trivial change.  :)

I admire you for doing the makefiles in the past; I've always been
too scared to touch that stuff myself.  But comparing the
website's makefile to the lilypond doc makefiles, I really wonder
where all that complexity comes from.  It can't all be from the
translations, since it was a mess before that!

What do you think about trying SCons to build the docs
(Documentation/*), as a possible "first try" before a possible
switch for other parts of LilyPond?  It's under the MIT license,
so I can't see any possible reason for GNU to complain.