Re: SVG status update

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: SVG status update
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:28:06 -0700

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 02:26:25PM +0900, Maximilian Albert wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> > So I spent a few hours today hacking on the SVG output, and here are
> > some samples of the current output I have:
> >
> > [...]
>
> Great work!!

Thanks!

> Just a random comment that occurred to me while skimming through your
> samples: When moving individual elements (like note heads, staff
> lines, beams, etc.) with the mouse, I noticed that they all moved
> individually because they are all at the "toplevel" of the SVG file.
> Would it be possible to group elements belonging together (visually or
> conceptually), like the staff lines, note heads with their stems and
> beams, etc.? I have no clue how Lilypond's SVG output works internally
> so this may be highly nontrivial (for example, I noticed that the
> final bar line in bach-schenker is split into three parts, which
> indicates that these are not drawn in one go, perhaps even at very
> different time steps). But if it's simple to achieve it might be a
> good addition.

Unfortunately, this would be very difficult.  Elements are dumped into
the SVG file in the order they occur in the page stencil, and (almost)
every one is independently positioned as well.

Some of the related stencils are dumped consecutively (e.g. the
horizontal StaffSymbol lines), but I imagine this would require some
postprocess optimization, which is an interesting feature request.

I'll add this to the wiki.

> Anyway, thanks again for your excellent work on this.

I'm happy to be working on it, and I'm glad you appreciate it.

Thanks,
Patrick