Re: using LyricHyphens in the docs

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: using LyricHyphens in the docs
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 10:23:35 +0100

Mark Polesky wrote Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:38 AM

I think the "Salve, "Regína" example in NR 2.8 "Ancient Notation"
would be improved by using LyricHyphens. For example, instead of
"Sal- ve, Re- gí- na," use "Sal -- ve, Re -- gí -- na,".

Unless there's some ancient hyphen typesetting convention that I
don't know about.  The file involved is
input/manual/ancient-headword.ly. There may be others, but I just
noticed it there.

Anyone care to comment on that?

I know essentially nothing about ancient music,
but as these examples were set by experts I assume
they know what should be done.  I doubt that
ancient music was ever typeset using modern
lyric spacing hyphens, not least because the
ligatures are conventionally grouped closely
together, and the syllable (with the hyphen)
almost always sits neatly under them.

Trevor