Re: How can I use git to help me merge a patch with the new directory st

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: How can I use git to help me merge a patch with the new directory structure
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 17:40:27 -0600

On 7/26/09 11:35 AM, "John Mandereau" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Le samedi 25 juillet 2009 à 22:37 -0600, Carl Sorensen a écrit :
>> Any git gurus out there who have an idea of how I can do this without having
>> to manually apply patches made between the files in the different
>> directories?
>
> If marvellous renames detection capacity of Git enabled by default when
> merging doesn't work for you (maybe you have to specify it manually when
> you rebase, if this option ever exists in rebase, see the man pages),
> make a patch file or your commit, or backup your patch file if you don't
> have it in your Git repo, then try
>
> sed -i -e '#/user#/notation#g' your_patch_file
>
> This manual way with sed would probably be the only reasonable option
> with a VCS like CVS.

I used vim, instead of sed, but did that conversion.  When done, git
wouldn't apply it.  I should have saved the results, but didn't.  So I guess
I shouldn't even be wasting bandwidth saying this; without the output
there's nothing anybody can do to help.  I'll keep working, and when I get a
solid error, I'll post again.

>> Any help would be appreciated; right now I feel like all of my work on
>> autobeaming is in shambles and I'm going to have to do it all over again.
>
> Don't worry, all your fantastic work on autobeaming certainly needn't be
> redone just for a few doc files moved :-)

I know that; that's why I asked.  I'm sure git can do it; I just don't know
*how* to make it happen right now.

Thanks,

Carl