Re: Lilypond Syntax Development and 3.0

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Lilypond Syntax Development and 3.0
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:41:37 -0700

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 03:31:45PM +0200, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2009/7/27 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > Lilypond Syntax Development   (tentative name)
>
> How about "Grand Syntax Project", for Graham-ish consistency's sake? :-)

LSD is much nicer than GSP, though.

> > Reinhold and Frederick: as you may have guessed, I'm proposing
> > that your patch waits until 3.0.  Anything requiring such manual
> > tweaks will make some people very unhappy, such as mutopia.
>
> Another possibility would be to have a "3.0 release meister", who
> could start maintaining a separate alpha branch for major
> syntax-breaking changes only, while non-syntax work goes on on 2.16.
> While maintaining LilyPond 2.x remains the absolute priority, this
> would allow us to take our time with the other branch.

Not necessary.  Most of the work (time-wise) will be discussing
potential changes.  Once we've decided what changes to make, it
shouldn't take more than 2-3 months to get them done.  That's
eminently within the devel time between stable releases -- I mean,
it's even within the aggressive schedule I proposed last Jan.