Re: sorting texinfo indices?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: sorting texinfo indices?
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 16:37:29 -0700

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 01:11:02PM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:

> ...from which texinfo magically generates IR A. "Indices":
> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/internals/Indices.html
>
> I'd like the list (and others like it) to be sorted according to
> the algorithm in scm/lily-sort.scm. Judging from recent threads, I
> figure some python tweaking would be necessary? I'm not about to
> learn python, but does anyone know how this could be done?

- download the texinfo source code.  It's in C.
- download the texi2html source code.  It's in perl.
- implement your favorite sorting routine as an optional feature
  in both those projects.  Alternately, add hooks to those
  projects so that users can specify their own sorting routines in
  some language.
- wait 1 year for new releases to come out in those projects
- get the sorting you want in those indexes.

As I said in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-07/msg00710.html
it's pretty much beyond our control, and IMO totally not worth the
effort involved.