Re: lilypond-book turns longas below the staff into breves

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: lilypond-book turns longas below the staff into breves
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 14:00:13 -0400

    >> Actually, what I did was print the part in a different clef.  It's
    >> really inauthentic to have music of that era (it was a transcription
    >> from the Odhecaton) with ledger lines anyway.  The new clef is a
    >> better option.

    Francisco> What a coincidence! I am very busy these days trying to learn
    Francisco> something on history of music typesetting.

Look at Petrucci.  It's really surprising when the first person to do
something turns out to be one of the best at it for hundreds of
years.

Of course, this might not have been true if he hadn't punted on
setting words.

    >> But this is a scary bug -- the music was correct when I proofread the
    >> individual part, and when I listened to the MIDI file, and when I
    >> looked at the score to make sure all the parts were the same length
    >> (this was a middle part).  Only the part as printed by lilypond-book,
    >> which is what I play at actual rehearsals, was wrong.

    Francisco> It is not as scary if you think that the value is
    Francisco> right, only appears to be wrong because of the cut
    Francisco> stem. Well, maybe it IS scary after all, but the
    Francisco> culprit is a part of LilyPond that does not handle the
    Francisco> values of the notes.

It's scary if you play the wrong note even when you took all that care
to enter the right note.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

America, where you're free to say anything you want, and you'd better
not say what you're not supposed to!

Tommy Smothers, quoted by Cory Doctorow on the Boing Boing blog