Re: getting source with git

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: getting source with git
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 09:33:35 -0700

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 01:59:50AM -0700, Graham Percival wrote:

> A few people talked about browsing the history, which surprised
> me.  Whenever I want to look at history, I use the web git
> interface.  But evidently other people don't share my pathological
> hatred of git, so I guess that "availability of history" is a
> non-insignificant factor.

I actually like git.  :-)

But then again, it's the only VCS I've really ever used, so I can't
make too many comparisons.

> Taking the above into consideration, I suggest that we don't
> change anything: CG 1 will only discuss method #3 (git remote
> add).  67 megs is still much larger than I'd _like_ to ask
> potential typo fixers to download, but this seems unavoidable.  :(

I think that's a good idea.  Even though a shallow clone is a much
smaller download, I would prefer having the full git history on my
local machine.  IMO, method #3 is a good compromise, since it
retrieves the full history just for that particular branch.

Thanks,
Patrick