Re: headers and footers with new vertical layout engine

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: headers and footers with new vertical layout engine
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 07:56:04 +0200 (CEST)

>> What's the new method for providing proper distances between the
>> header, the body, and the footer of a page?  If I do it the old way
>> (this is, I just run a new lilypond binary on my score) the footer
>> line gets always attached to the body without any vertical space
>> inbetween,
>
> You can set the padding property in last-system-spacing (or
> first-system-spacing or first-system-nontitle-spacing).  I've just
> increased them all to 1 by default, but feel free to modify the
> default if you want it larger.

OK, will test soon.

BTW, please change the names

  first-system-spacing
  last-system-spacing

and related ones to

  top-system-spacing
  bottom-system-spacing

The current names really irritate me.

>> and for page numbers it sometimes even happens that
>> stuff from the first staff is positioned above it...[1]
>
> There's currently a bug in that anything living in the Score context
> (bar numbers, rehearsal marks, etc) isn't counted in the layout
> problem.  I'm currently testing a patch for this.

OK.

> Regarding your "Top" context: why do you override VerticalAxisGroup
> #'Y-extent = ##f?  This is likely to confuse the layout algorithm
> even after the bug I mentioned is fixed.

This was necessary for the old vertical layout engine -- at least it
served me well since a few years.  I'll test what happens if I remove
it.

    Werner