Re: patch to fix text color in PDF output

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: patch to fix text color in PDF output
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:52:19 +0200

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> Andrew Hawryluk wrote Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:18 AM
>>
>> Long ago I noticed that the text in our PDF manuals is fully black,
>> which results in rough-looking text when printed:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2008-10/msg00059.html

The message actually complains that the text is _not_ fully black.

>> Attached is a patch which corrects this, and the printed output is
>> noticeably improved. (The on-screen output is nearly
>> indistinguishable.)
>>
>> I'll send this to the TexInfo folks as well.
>
> I much prefer dark grey text over jet black.
> Any chance we could try this out?  On kainhofer
> maybe?

A PDF print has to be black, period.  All zero in RGB, and in CMYK just
K 1, and the rest zero.  Everything else is asking for inferior results
and is sabotaging the font rendering engine.

If you don't like "jet black", that's something you need to tell your
printer driver, not individual documents.