Re: Iphone

From: Matthias Kilian
Subject: Re: Iphone
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 01:03:29 +0200

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:32:49PM +0000, Phil Allred wrote:
> Could lilypond be packaged up for the iPhone? Has anyone explored this?

I may be wrong, but doesn't the iPhone use a CPU similar to that
of a Sharp Zaurus CL3200 or some of the cheap Thecus storage devices,
i.e.  some ARM/xscale processor running at 400 -- 600 MHz without
an FPU? If I'm not wrong, I won't expect much fun from running
LilyPond on the iPhone. It's really dead-slow the other machines I
mentioned.

Another problem may be the memory footprint. I don't know how much
RAM an iPhone has, but on the Zaurus (with 64MB RAM) I can only
render very simple and small tunes. More complex stuff (like the
bach/busoni chaconne i still didn't finish) uses too much memory.
However, if an iPhone comes with several hundred MB of RAM, the
only bottleneck would be the CPU performance.

Ciao,
        Kili

--
>> Programme, die mit "k" anfangen benutze ich nicht ;-)
> Und was machst Du, wenn Du mal einem Prozess ein Signal schicken willst?
Dann nimmt er den Gnome-Ableger "gill" (aus Sachsen?).
                -- Martin Bucher, Matthias Kilian & Ralf Döblitz in der LUG-BS