Re: Dynamics context spacing issues

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Dynamics context spacing issues
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:43:56 -0700

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 21:00 +0100, Neil Puttock wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> I've been testing the new Dynamics context in various situations, and
> it's a struggle to get consistently centred dynamics without
> trial-and-error tweaks for inter-staff-spacing.  It also seems to be
> incompatible with alignment-distances, since the default settings have
> no effect in this case (the dynamics line behaves as if it has
> staff-affinity = #UP).

Hi Neil,

Thanks for testing. Do you have an example to show the problem? It was
certainly my intention to have Dynamics work with alignment-distances.

> Whilst trying to work out some way to make the centring automated, I
> had a look at your latest commit, and it got me thinking: if the
> staff-affinity = #CENTER, then the loose line has no bias for a stave
> above or below, so it seems a no-brainer to allow non-affinity-spacing
> to work in such a case rather than relying on inter-staff-spacing.
> Does this sound sensible?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. Are you suggesting that a
staff-affinity = #CENTER line uses non-affinity-spacing instead of
inter-staff-spacing for both of the staves around it? I don't see why
that would make things more automated; both non-affinity-spacing and
inter-staff-spacing give the same information and use the same
mechanism, they just apply in different situations. But it would be easy
enough to change...

Cheers,
Joe