anybody know about xrefs?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: anybody know about xrefs?
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 02:08:45 +0100

So most manuals want to link to
  ../other-manual/filename.html#target
right?  Going from learning/ to notation/, etc.

For general.texi, though, we want to go directly to
  other-manual/filename.html#target
(we also want other manuals who link to general to link to
  ../filename.html#target
but that should be easy once the first thing is done)

Should this change occur in a python buildscript file, a perl
texi2html file, some make file...?  The xref files in out-wwww/
don't appear to have any directory information in them, so my next
guess was the texi2html init file... but I can't find any "../" in
that file.

Any clues?