Re: [Fwd: Tracker 836:]

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Tracker 836:]
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:02:12 -0600

On 10/28/09 4:39 PM, "Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2009/10/28 Ian Hulin <address@hidden>:
>> I managed to get set up and put the patch for Tracker 836 on as tracker
>> 141076.
>
> This issue doesn't exist; did you delete it after uploading?
>
>> Message:
>> ly/engraver-init.ly in not part of this patch and I didn't change it.
>
> You should apply your patch to master, then you won't get previous
> commits showing up.
>
> The way I normally do it is as follows:
>
> -) create a patch which you want to upload
> -) reset master branch (if necessary, pull any changes)
> -) create a new branch for uploading to Rietveld
> -) checkout new branch and apply patch
> -) upload using `git cl upload origin'
>
>> http://codereview.appspot.com/141076/diff/2001/2006#newcode144
>> Line 144: (ly:parser-lookup parser 'book-filename))))
>> Coding
>> (book-filename))))
>> here using the local variable caused an "invalid type" error from Scheme
>
> Please read my suggestion again (and Carl's explanation).

Neil's suggestion did *not* have a parenthesis before the book-filename

(book-filename) tries to evaluate a procedure book-filename and return the
results.  But book-filename isn't a procedure; hence the invalid type.

book-filename just returns the value of the variable book-filename.

Unlike in most languages, in  Scheme you can't insert unnecessary
parentheses in expressions; every parenthesis is significant.

HTH,

Carl