Re: Code formatter

From: Chris Snyder
Subject: Re: Code formatter
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:41:06 -0500

Graham Percival wrote:
I'm afraid that you won't get many positive responses until you
look at the previous discussion about this issue.  Again, the main
developers have been bitten by people in the past asking many
questions, spending hours explaining things to them, but then
ultimately giving up and disappearing.

Before I started looking at formatters, I did search lilypond-devel and the issues tracker, but didn't come up with them (other than an issue for automatically formatting .ly files). It looks like I didn't do an extensive enough search or use the correct terms. The issue that Neil linked to brought me up to speed (I wasn't even aware that the frogs had their own mailing list).

I don't want to be discouraging, but most people won't take you
seriously unless you prove that you've done your research.  I'm
sorry, I know this *does* sound discouraging... but we have had
*years* of experience with people not following through.  You know
the expression "once bitten, twice shy?"  for us, it's "ten times
bitten, twenty times shy".

Understood, and I realize that I haven't exactly proven myself in this community yet. I'm also comfortable enough here now that I'm not taking your response personally.

I'm sorry to be discouraging -- again, I think this would be a
*fantastic* project, especially if it handles scheme as well --
but it will be a *lot* more work than you're envisioning at the
moment.

There is one thing that bugs me about this discussion (and others) - it seems like sometimes improvements are rejected as being "not good enough," even if they're still an incremental improvement. Wouldn't running all of the C++ code through astyle still be an improvement over the current situation? It wouldn't prevent future formatting mistakes and it wouldn't help with the Scheme and ly code, but it would still be a step in the right direction.

Thanks,
-Chris