Re: BOM mark from Windows notepad

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: BOM mark from Windows notepad
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:14:25 +0100

2009/11/19 Hans Aberg <address@hidden>:
> I think that it was changed. If the BOM is only allowed in the beginning of
> the file, it becomes a state-dependent character. For example, if one
> includes two files verbatim in another, then the BOMs will no longer be in
> the beginning of the combined stream. So therefore this state-less
> definition is to be preferred.

This problem is more frequent than you may think, at least in my
environment. Last week I promised to bring a case of faulty LY from
Windows notepad; now I realize that all cases which might have failed
were previously edited by me, putting the BOM away from the start of
the file. All my students work on Windows and every instance of their
documents that I edited did fail.

I'm sorry for having incorrectly defined the problem at first place;
at the same time, I am very thankful for you to spend time on this.
The program will gain on stability.

I think that editors like xfce mousepad or emacs should take the
starting BOM as a mark only and then discard it, i.e. not trying to
show or let us to move it. After all, Windows notepad does that with
its own files, as it seems.

--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org