Re: `make check' overworks one core on my Core2 quad

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: `make check' overworks one core on my Core2 quad
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:05:38 +0000

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 04:54:41PM +0100, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le lundi 14 décembre 2009 à 14:08 +0100, David Kastrup a écrit :
> > Maybe lilypond-book could create its temporary files in a local
> > directory with a unique name (involving host and process id, for
> > example).  It sounds like this could do the trick for parallel
> > lilypond-book runs.
>
> No.  We share all lilypond-book snippets in a central directory
> (out/lybook-db for make targets "all" and "doc"), so we don't want
> parallel lilypond-book parallel runs; if it happens nevertheless, then
> it's a bug.

That could be what's happening... not necessarily parallel
lilypond-book runs in the same directory, but building the english
docs + translations at the same time with lilypond-book in
parallel?

Is there any way to turn "make -jX doc" into
"make -j1 CPU_COUNT=X doc" automatically?  I've already seen that
"make -j1 CPU_COUNT=X doc" works, and seems to take the same time
+ have the same CPU load as doing -j4 CPU_COUNT=4.

No, I haven't looked at how make processes the -j options, and I'd
rather not have to do this if I don't have to.  If somebody can
look into this, I'll continue to look into why GUB can't build the
2.12.3 docs.  Deal?