Re: strange vertical formatting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: strange vertical formatting
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 22:00:21 +0100 (CET)

>> Do you actually expect the vertical formatting of the snippet below
>> as shown in the attached PDF?
>
> I wouldn't say I expected it, but I can certainly explain it: it's
> an inconsistent handling of two related corner cases. When a loose
> line appears at the bottom of the page, we try to position it
> according to its ideal distance from the staff above (ie. we ignore
> the distance to the bottom of the page). When a loose line appears
> between two systems, we space it according to the usual rules for
> loose lines.
>
> It's probably possible to come up with better rules for these corner
> cases, but I think the more reliable fix is not to use
> staff-affinity = #CENTER for contexts that are to be placed below a
> system.

OK, sounds reasonable.  I haven't given the problem much thought,
actually.  It was a byproduct while reducing my score to isolate issue
#936.

Perhaps it makes sense to mention in the documentation for
staff-affinity that strange vertical formatting can happen if #CENTER
is used for a context which is not between two other contexts.

    Werner