Re: ./autogen.sh question

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: ./autogen.sh question
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:26:47 +0000

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:00:56PM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> Do I need to run ./autogen.sh every time I compile?
> Intuitively, I would think yes, but the CG is ambiguous:
> ./autogen.sh is mentioned in "2.1.1 Downloading source code"
> but not in "2.1.3 Building LilyPond".

No.  You need it after you download git.  I think, but I'm not at
all certain, that you _don't_ need it after you download a
tarball.

Thereafter, you only need to run ./configure if you want to change
options (like enabling or disabling optimization/debug stuff), or
if somebody changes the build/configure system.  The latter
happens approximately once every two months.