Re: improving the CG

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: improving the CG
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:16:19 +0000

Hi Mark, Graham,

On 19/12/09 10:49, Graham Percival wrote:
On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 10:35:28PM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
Without intending the slightest offence towards those of you
who've already put a lot of work into the CG, I think it can
still be clearer.

The only organization that's gone into the CG is putting stuff
into chapters.  The section organization with chapters is
generally a mess.  CG 1 and 3 have a ok layout, but the rest had
almost no thought put into it.

If you want to add lots of explanations to CG 1.1 to 1.3, I'd
disagree (because short text + clear examples works better).  But
if you're doing anything anywhere else, it should be fine.

One opportunity here is that Chapter 1 makes the assumption that Linux users only use command-line and Windows users only use the GUI.

Trevor did a brilliant job with the Windows section and in some respects it's clearer and less forbidding than the material in 1.1 to 1.4. It also duplicates a lot of the material in those sections.

Since Windows git installs the bash shell for use by git anyway it doesn't stop Windows users doing git operations via the command line if that's what they're more comfortable with.

I reckon the steps in 1.1-1.4 could have alternates examples/instructions
        Using the command line
        Using the GUI
Any special steps needed for a particular platform, (Windows, MacOSX, Linux etc.)

I'm willing to try a merge of the information in 1.1-1.4 and what's in 1.5 and do a prototype draft using OpenOffice. If you guys think that flies I'll then translate that back into texinfo source.

If you're already addressing this, Mark, or you think this is a terrible idea, Graham, then I'll butt out and leave it to you.

Cheers,
Ian