Re: Using slightly modified Lilypond symbols for Zong!

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Using slightly modified Lilypond symbols for Zong!
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:37:22 -0200

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Andreas Wenger <address@hidden> wrote:
> I didn't want to bother you with technical details, but since asked, here
> are the reasons why we use SVG symbols (in ascending importance):
>
> (1) I think, fonts are designed to write texts. Think about features like
>  kerning, which I don't need for musical symbols. I did never understand why
>  fonts are "misused" for other things like music notation.

I am merely commenting that scanning and tracing the symbols
introduces lots of errors.  It would be better and easier to boot to
write the SVG directly from fontforge.

As for the licensing: if zong is GPL there is obviously no problem; if
it is not, I dont know from the top of my head. The details of
copyright restrictions on font are confusing to say the least.

As for credits: it would be nice to have some credits (similar to how
you thank contributors) for the font.