Re: Plans for docs, snippets and requests

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Plans for docs, snippets and requests
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 07:22:38 -0700

On 2/8/10 4:17 AM, "Patrick Schmidt" <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I'll take a look at scheme-engraver.ly
>>> (http://codereview.appspot.com/181109/show).
>>
>> Great!
>
> This snippet (scheme-engraver.ly) compiles with an error (version "2.13.10"):

2.13.10 has a release date of 1 January; lily/scheme-engraver.cc has a
create date of 9 January.  You need a newer development version to use
scheme engravers.  2.13.11 should do it.

> Without any description it's hard to tell for me what the engraver is supposed
> to do in this snippet (even though I followed Eric Knapp's and your emails.
> But ­ as you suggested ­ there might be easier ways to write an engraverS
>
> I think first off I'll try to "manually" tweak a minimal example to achieve
> that the pitch names of the standard guitar tuning are printed on the lines of
> the TabStaff. Then I'll try to automate this process and extend it to other
> tunings using the variables defined in tablatures.scm. So maybe this way and
> with the help of the Extending manual I might be able to develop the
> Tab_key_signature_engraver from scratch. Does that sound like a promising
> approach?

It does, depending on what "manually" means.

The pitch names can probably use print routines very similar to the

>> Ahh, now I see.  Certainly snippets would belong in the Snippet Repository
>> as well as in the docs.  But they don't get their own sections if they're
>> snippets.
> Well, what about Marc's \palmmute- and \deadNote-commands? If muted notes
> don't get an own section where should I place them in the notation reference?

They can have their own subsubsection.  They don't need tweaks; there is a
command for them (\deadNote).

If you create commands for some of your work, then the commands get added to
the distribution, and the docs get added to a (subsub)section in the NR.

If you're doing it using tweaks and overrides, it gets added to the LSR, and
the docs show up in the snippets list.

>> <e,
>>
>> Actually, this is not true.  Individual pitches can be added to any
>> degree.
>> See the docs for "Extended and altered chords" in NR 2.7.1.
>>
>> It's only the automatic stacking that won't go beyond 13.
> True. I wasn't clear. I was aiming at the automatic stacking. Provided an
> automatic stacking going beyond 13 and the chordmode/ChordName-behavior
> described in the last paragraph it would become possible to define the chord
> <e b' e g b e> with a simple e:m15^3.

I'd be happy to review a patch for the stacking algorithm that fixes all the
problems you've identified.

>> in
>> (e.g.
>>
>> As I've thought more about this, I don't think that named chords should
>> have
>> a step multiple times.
>>
>> I think it makes sense for explicitly entered chords to have repeated
>> steps,
>> and the chord namer should be smart enough to catch it.
>
> I didn't mean that this should affect the chord name. I meant the possibility
> to enter something like c:3.5.8.8 or c:8.8. The chordname would still be c.

I understand, but c:8.8 doesn't make any sense to me.  The only time I can
see that it makes sense to have a repeated note is when there's an explicit
string assignment to the note so that the note will be placed on multiple
strings.  In standard musical notation I don't think you'd double up the
note head; only in tablature would you have two different indications for
the same note.

Again, if this is important to you, and you want to write a patch, I'd be
happy to review it.  As long as it doesn't break existing function, it
should be OK to implement it.

Thanks,

Carl