Re: Doc music examples should be on 1 line

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Doc music examples should be on 1 line
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 09:59:09 -0000

Graham Percival wrote Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:12 AM

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

While answering a user question I noticed that
some examples in the LM which were earlier on
a single line now spread undesirably over two
lines in both html and pdf versions. You can
see several examples in 4.5.3.
I'm happy to fix these, but I'm not sure what
I should change. Can you suggest anything?

IIRC, the default lilypond-book options were changed some time around 2.13.6 or so. It caused all the regtests to be marked as "changed",
which prompted a round of work on lilypond-book and the regtest
checking script, or something. Oh wait, it was the hashing: we ended
up keeping the regtests with their original filenames.
I think this happened in Nov or Dec... it was definitely between Sep and Jan.

A quick glance at the exact .ly files of the first item in 4.5.3 in
2.13.13 and 2.12.3 supports this:
2.13.13:
\paper {
  indent = 0\mm
  line-width = 5.5\in
  line-width = 5.5\in - 2.0 * 0.4\in
  ragged-right = ##t
  force-assignment = #""
  line-width = #(- line-width (* mm  3.000000))
}

OK, I started some research.

I fixed exactly this problem for LM 4.5.3 on
13/9/2009 by adding line-width = 5.5\in to the
@lilypond[] commands which invokes these examples.
That was effective at the time, but the lilypond
book settings of line-width are now overridden by
the insertion of line-width = 5.5\in - 2.0 * 0.4\in.

That line was not being inserted last Sept -
it renders all explicit settings of line-width
in the @lilypond[] command ineffective.

The change happened sometime after 2.13.4-1.  I'll
try to narrow down when it happened more closely.

Trevor