Re: nice stockhausen excerpt

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: nice stockhausen excerpt
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:52:20 +0100

Valentin Villenave wrote:
> Indeed. Similarly, WWI is said to have ended in 1921... go figure.

Another amusing tale here.  I'm from a part of Wales called
Monmouthshire; but this is border country, and historically there was an
extended period of ambiguity (from about the 1600s to the 20th century)
about whether it was considered part of Wales or of England.  It was
quite common for laws to be declared as applying to 'Wales and
Monmouthsire'.

Anyway, allegedly, the text of the declaration of war in 1914 referred
to 'England, Wales, and Monmouthsire', while the peace treaty signed at
Versailles only referred to England and Wales -- technically leaving
Monmouthshire and Germany still at war.  A friend in the local town
council tells me that this oversight was finally rectified only in 1998.

When I was at school there (pre-1998...) we used to have a regular
exchange with a German gymnasium, where the school orchestra would go
over and perform concerts for them.  If this wasn't a continuation of
hostilities, I don't know what was ...

I just hope this doesn't mean that copyright in Monmouthshire is 80
years behind the times ... :-)