half-dot

From: David Bobroff
Subject: half-dot
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:32:10 +0000

Some time ago I posted a query/suggestion/observation regarding a notation convention I saw in a piece we were performing in our orchestra. Following a notehead, in the position of a dot, there was a small '×'. Upon examination it became clear that it was, in effect, a 'half-dot'. It added one-quarter of the note's value rather than one-half. I thought at the time that the LilyPond developers might be interested in supporting this notation. I recall that Han-Wen seemed uninterested in supporting what appeared to be a "one-off," non-standard notation quirk. Fair enough.

Now, however, this notation convention has appeared again in another piece by a different composer. An example can bee seen here:

http://centrum.is/~bobroff/lilypond/half-dot.png

The piece is the "Concerto" for clarinet and Orchestra by Finnish composer Kalevi Aho. This tiny excerpt is from the Euphonium part. As a musician who has to read this, I find that having, in this instance, groups of five 16th notes in a "beat" makes this notation convenient to read. I just wonder why the "half-dot" wasn't also used on the rests in the second 15/16 bar in the above example.

So, I offer this again. Does the development team want to add this feature? I'm not sure that this is important enough to me, personally, to make it a feature request. On the other hand, if this notation convention is going to become used more it may well become "accepted" and eventually "standard" practice. LilyPond already does many things you don't see in pre-20th century music (feathered beams, cluster notation, shaped notehead etc....)

-David