Re: build errors

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: build errors
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 08:09:16 -0600

On 4/24/10 12:59 AM, "Marc Weber" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Excerpts from Werner LEMBERG's message of Sat Apr 24 04:49:07 +0000 2010:
>>
>>> I thought that make distclean would put my build tree in the same
>>> state as it would be in a freshly cloned repository.
>>
>> Do `git status' to find out whether there are still additional files
>> in your repository after `make distclean'.  Of course, this doesn't
>> show the files which are ignored by patterns in `.gitignore' files,
>> and maybe exactly this is causing problems.
>
> git itself only has two different sources of information:
>
> - the current version found in .git it compares against (called HEAD).
> - changes to be committed (cache, index)
>
> if you run git status git will show differences.
>
> Changed to be comitted:
>   This lists changes which were added to stage by git add
>

> Changed but not updated:
>   This lists changes compared to the index
>
> untracked files
>   This lists files which are not tracked by git (neither index nor HEAD)
>

> So the untracked files section will list those additional files.
>
> However it also will list files which did exist before.
>

> comitting or adding changes to the stage is very cheap.
> So a git way to test this is:
>
> git add -A # add everything to stage
> make
> make distclean
> git status # see modified section which will show differences to stage.
> git reset # throw away changes added to stage by git add -A

Thank you both, Werner and Marc, for your suggestions.  I used a mix of your
two approaches.

I did

make distclean
git add -A

At that point, I probably should have just done git status, which would have
given me the information, but instead I did

git commit -a

and looked at the status in my commit editor window.  I found I had a file

Documentation/pitches.itely

which should not exist (and this made great sense when combined with my
error message.

I then aborted the commit, did

git reset

and finished my build process.  And everything worked.