Re: "always specify initial duration within { ... }" ?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: "always specify initial duration within { ... }" ?
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:44:33 -0600

On 4/26/10 12:33 AM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Both
>   LM 1.2.1 "Simple notation" and
>   NR 1.2.1 "Writing rhythms"
> include these two sentences:
>
>   If the duration is omitted, it is set to the previously
>   entered duration.  The default for the first note is a
>   quarter note.
>
> I think this is needlessly misleading.  In context, this
> implies that the duration of the first note of a { music }
> block is a quarter note, though it may be more accurate to
> say "each time lilypond is invoked, the default duration for
> the first note read by the parser is a quarter note."
>
> Of course, putting that kind of language in the tutorial is
> out of the question in my opinion, and I think this is a
> case where its better if the user doesn't know too much.
>
> I'd like to reword both instances of this paragraph to:
>
>   If the duration is omitted, it is set to the previously
>   entered duration.  The duration of the first note in every
>   { music } block should always be specified explicitly.
>
> Any objections?

I don't think that removing the statement that "the default for the first
note is a quarter note" is a good idea. I think it would be far better to
add two sentences at the end of the existing paragraph that say "To avoid
confusion, it is recommended that the first note on every line of the input
file have an explicit duration.  This convention is followed throughout the
LilyPond documentation."

Thanks,

Carl