Re: PATCH: Eliminate PDF deletion in Windows

From: Nathan Reed
Subject: Re: PATCH: Eliminate PDF deletion in Windows
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:08:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>  wrote:

> Have you tested your patch with other PDF viewers to verify that the
> behavior is not worse with them?

I've tested with Foxit Reader and Adobe Reader.  The behavior with Foxit is
improved; Lilypond can overwrite the PDF, though Foxit does not automatically
detect and reload.  With Adobe Reader, Lilypond cannot overwrite the file while
it is open.  If there are any other viewers people are commonly using in
Windows, I'd be happy to check a couple.

According to rumor, some of these viewers are also capable of receiving DDE
messages to instruct them to e.g. reload the PDF.  But even if this is the case,
I wouldn't argue that Lilypond should concern itself with such - it's more a job
for an IDE (some of the TeX-oriented ones, such as TeXnicCenter and WinEdt,
already do support this).

Thanks,
Nathan Reed