Re: Critical issues

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Critical issues
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 20:17:46 +0100

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 09:11:18PM +0200, Karl Hammar wrote:
> Graham:
> > They might be "make baseline-test", followed by applying a patch,
> > followed by "make check", but I'm not certain.  It's explained
> > somewhere in Contributing 2.
>
> Ok, found something in "3.6.3 Testing LilyPond" (though nothing in the
> chapter on regression tests).

Known problem, sadly.  We even lack the developer resources to
adequately maintain the manual which aims to increase our
developer resources.

Also, you might want to ignore me and wait for other people to
comment, since I've never tested patches with a regtest
comparison.

> But if I already have a known good result from the code tracker,
> how do I compare it with the new result?

Well, if you have a short piece of input code, and a good picture,
then you could just do
  lilypond -dpreview bug-example.ly
and then look at the resulting bug-example.preview.png
 (or use lilypond --png   if it's a multi-line example)

If I were working on a single .ly file, I'd just compare the two
versions by eye, rather than trying to use any automatic tool.