Re: Notes on #1036

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Notes on #1036
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 15:55:57 +0100

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 03:31:40AM +0200, Francisco Vila wrote:
> Just to prevent that my tiny advances on #1036 get lost, here are my
> random notes on the issue.  Those notes are very messed but after a
> rest my head will surely understand certain things a bit more clearly.
>
> http://wiki.lilynet.net/index.php/Issue1036

Thanks!

To test the four $$$$, you could try printing the value of each of
the shifted variables.  Or maybe only print the 5th one -- the
idea is to find out if this variable ever has a value.  It's quite
possible that there's some old code that should have been
commented out or something.

I'm also suspicious about the
  my $anchor = $args->[0];
line... combining the "$args->[0]" with "shift" looks wierd.

For the "substr($id, 0, -2)"... this is clearly only supposed to
remove the -1 (as stated by the comment).  How about adding a
check to see if the last two characters in $id are "-1"; if they
are, remove them (with the substr); if the last two chars *aren't*
"-1", do nothing.

In answer to your "main question", my understanding is that anchor
links come from the xref is a xref file exists, otherwise they
come from the texinfo section commands (like
@unnumberedsubsubsec).  I don't know what part of the code
generates the actual
  <a name="foo">
bits.  It might be something in our init file; it might be from
the general texi2html.  My initial feeling is that it's from the
normal texi2html program, but I haven't actually searched through
our init file for this specific question.