Re: broken links for "next section in reading order"

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: broken links for "next section in reading order"
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 17:05:08 +0100

Graham,

Graham Percival wrote:
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 07:23:07AM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:
Trevor Daniels wrote:
Graham Percival wrote:
@node Setting @code{X-offset} and @code{Y-offset} ...
!!!  wow, I didn't think this was allowed.
I can't remember the details, but I wrote this section in
Sept 2008 and I think I just tried it and found it worked.
Was this around the time you took your sabbatical from LP?
Maybe that's why you didn't notice?
I think Graham meant "I didn't think this was possible".

Yes... although I don't read Trevor's email as suggesting that he
thought that I thought it was not possible.

(I _think_ I wrote that correctly...)

Anyway, what does the texinfo manual say about @-commands in node
names?  Could you look this up, James?

http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/texinfo.html#Node-Line-Requirements

I think this bit is what you are after:

--snip--

@-commands in node names are not allowed. This includes punctuation characters that are escaped with a address@hidden, such as @ and {, and accent commands such as ‘@'’. (For a few cases when this is useful, Texinfo has limited support for using @-commands in node names; see Pointer Validation.) Perhaps this limitation will be removed some day. Unfortunately, you cannot use periods, commas, colons or parentheses within a node name; these confuse the Texinfo processors. Perhaps this limitation will be removed some day, too.
For example, the following is a section title in this manual:

          @code{@@unnumberedsec}, @code{@@appendixsec}, @code{@@heading}

But the corresponding node name lacks the commas and the @'s:

          unnumberedsec appendixsec heading

--snip--