Re: Obstacles to LilyPond Development

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Obstacles to LilyPond Development
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 11:05:23 +0200

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 6/1/10 1:26 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Properties.  There are tweaks, overrides, sets.  Some of them work on
>> some properties, and there is no user level coherence to what you
>> need to do on what and why.  Yes, I had some fits about that already,
>> and some people repeatedly told me I am an awful child for keeping up
>> the "why, why" questions and that things were just so.  But I am
>> arrogant enough to say that something that can't be explained to me
>> in a way that I understand it is a mistake in a programmer interface.
>> And we are talking about a _user_ interface, one you can't avoid
>> using.
>
> I know that properties is a major issue for you.  I think that it's
> primarily a user issue, rather than a developer issue.

I am somewhat obsessed with the idea that a developer has to make sane
and consistent choices about his user interfaces.

When I add functionality, the interface and behavior should be what a
user would expect, given the documentation and behavior and interface of
pre-existing other functionality.

I hate making any _arbitrary_ decisions when designing an interface.

So I heavily disagree with the notion that "user issues" are nothing
that a developer should worry about.