Re: Issue 1029 in lilypond: \thumb should behave like other fingerings

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Issue 1029 in lilypond: \thumb should behave like other fingerings
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 00:57:50 +0200

Thank you Frédéric for the time you spend on this.

2010/6/3 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> :

> I think the answer to the other items is no.
>
> thumb is a Script grob, not its own grob.  Fingering is its own grob.
> So I think you can't add all of the grob properties to the script
> alist.  All those other properties are set in the definition of the
> Script grob, in scm/define-grobs.scm.
>
> If we want to have \thumb become a Fingering instead of a Script,
> then we should change it in the parser to be handled by the
> New_fingering_engraver.

Hi Carl!

Actually that was part of the discussion that followed my initial
request.  This thread can be found on Frogs' archives:
http://lilypond-frogs.2124236.n2.nabble.com/Could-a-frog-spend-20-min-to-help-cellist-s-thumb-tp4918234p4954272.html

I suggested/asked (later) if it was possible to make \thumb engraved
by the (New_)Fingering_engraver , since I found it more logical from a
user/musician point of view.

I don't have a clue how to do this since I have no development skills
at all, but I think that the answer Neil gave me could/should be
somewhat useful.

2010/4/24 Neil Puttock <address@hidden>:

>> Instrumentally-speaking, it's not an articulation, it's a fingering.
>
> Yes, but I was talking about how it's implemented in LilyPond.
>
>> By the way I suppose it would be too difficult/unappropriated to make
>> \thumb engraved by the Fingering_engraver , which, from a non-dev point
>> of view, would seem more logical...
>
> That's a nice idea (and easily implemented without touching the engraver):
>
> thumb =
> #(make-music 'FingeringEvent
>                     'text (markup #:fontsize 5 #:musicglyph "scripts.thumb"))
>
> \relative c' {
>  \override Fingering #'text =
>  #(lambda (grob)
>     (let ((finger-text (ly:event-property (event-cause grob) 'text)))
>          (if (markup? finger-text)
>                            finger-text
>                            (fingering::calc-text grob))))
>  c4\thumb
> }
>
> Cheers,
> Neil

Of course it differs from the answer I had while simply asking about
thumb and 'avoid-slur, but the overall goal is to make \thumb behave
like other fingerings, isn't it?  ;D

Cheers (and many thanks to all of you),
Xavier

--