Re: Question about 'back quote' in scheme markups within Documentation e

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Question about 'back quote' in scheme markups within Documentation examples
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:14:31 +0100

Hello,

On 09/06/2010 17:00, Carl Sorensen wrote:
The back-quote means that any expression in the back-quoted list that is
preceded by a comma will be evaluated.  The regular single quote means that
nothing in the list will be evaluated; the list will just be assembled.

Thanks Carl, my query was really about whether if this was a typo (which it evidently isn't) or as seems to be the case that it while the back-quote is required in some instanced, it can also be that it is 'not necessary' in some other context and that you can leave it out altogether.

At least that is what I have got from this thread.

I was just looking to see if anything needed to be changed in our NR or perhaps an addition in the CG, perhaps to say that back-quotes should only be used in examples that use blah blah [insert specifics here], in the way that we say to use '{ }' even if they are not necessarily needed.

I'll leave them alone.

James

P.S. I am not a programmer.