Re: Quickstart guide

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Quickstart guide
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:56:02 +0200

On 06/23/2010 05:37 PM, Graham Percival wrote:
> What did you mean by "customized per platform, that would be part
> of the install" ?
>
> I think I understand what you mean now, however...

Well, to be clear: I mean that when you install Lilypond on Windows, it
should create a menu item (and optionally, a desktop icon) that would
load the aforesaid (HTML) quickstart guide when you click on it.

Similar for Mac OS.

It was a response to David K.'s remark about the experience of having
people install Lilypond and then come back with remarks like, 'Where is
it, then??':
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-06/msg00377.html

> ... "Packaging it up" is extremely difficult.

I'm not familiar with Windows or Mac development or installers -- is it
genuinely difficult to have the installation program create a menu item
or desktop icon which simply points to a locally-stored HTML file? :-(

Best wishes,

    -- Joe