generating bibliographic entries

From: Graham Percival
Subject: generating bibliographic entries
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 13:44:35 +0100

Yo,

I know that some people here are paranoid about having "generated
files" in the git tree.  However, I'd like to propose that we
allow this for the bibliographic entries:
- Documentation/web/cite-us.bib : this would be a typical .bib
  file, containing normal bibtex entries for any paper that uses
  lilypond.
- Documentation/web/cite-us.itexi : this would be an autogenerated
  .itexi file, created with either bibtex or biber[1], from
  cite-us.bib.

[1] biber is a variant of bibtex which can handle utf-8; this
would allow us to display accented names properly, instead of just
removing the accent or whatever.

The advantage of including the generated file is that then we
don't need to require that people have bibtex or biber.  That's
not a huge problem for building lilypond in general, but it would
be nice to keep the build requirements for the website fairly low.
(I admit that lilypond.org *does* have bibtex installed, and if
necessary we could install biber from source)

The alternative is to re-invent the wheel: figure out our own way
of handling utf-8 characters in .bib files.  I don't see this as
an efficient use of time.

(that said, if anybody knows more about utf-8 in .bib than me --
which is not hard to do -- then they may have better suggestions)