Re: Fwd: Music Glossary - 1.64 Concert Pitch

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: Fwd: Music Glossary - 1.64 Concert Pitch
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:56:57 +1000

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Scott <address@hidden> writes:

Paul> On 07/07/2010 04:06 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
>> On 07/07/10 19:06, Paul Scott wrote:
>>> On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 11:54:29AM +0100, Wols Lists wrote:

Paul> The lowest note on a woodwind is a fundamental.  It's just not
Paul> directly related to how the key of the instrument is determined.
Paul> All woodwinds except the bassoon have a six finger notes in one
Paul> of it's registers (harmonics) that is named D and usually
Paul> written on the fourth line of the treble clef.

And the (F-lowest-note, e.g., bass, treble or sopranino) recorder, and
the (alto) shawm, and the whistle.

Given the variety of transposing instruments out there, I'd avoid any
of these details, and leave it that some instruments are
conventionally notated at a different pitch from their sounding pitch,
typically notated one tone higher (so-called B-flat instruments) or a
minor third lower (so-called E-flat instruments) than they sound.

And leave out the term `concert pitch' for this --- concert pitch just
means that the sounded A is at 440Hz, and doesn't really affect the
written notes.  I can play in concert pitch on my B-flat clarinet, but
can't with my Renaissance recorder (because it's pitched to A=460Hz),
despite the clarinet music being transposed and the recorder music not
transposed.
--
Dr Peter Chubb                                  peter DOT chubb AT nicta.com.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au               ERTOS within National ICT Australia