Re: feta-accordion.mf, convertrules.py, musicxml2ly.py: sanitize accord

From: dak
Subject: Re: feta-accordion.mf, convertrules.py, musicxml2ly.py: sanitize accordion symbol names (issue1908041)
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:02:55 +0000

http://codereview.appspot.com/1908041/diff/2001/3002
File mf/feta-accordion.mf (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/1908041/diff/2001/3002#newcode117
mf/feta-accordion.mf:117: fet_beginchar ("accordion register freebass",
"freebass")
On 2010/07/28 17:11:20, Carl wrote:
I made these changes, and then didn't apply them, because I think the
"base"
that is intended is not "bass", but the base for a symbol that will be
completed
by adding the dots.  So I'm not sure that we want to move to "bass",
but you're
the accordion expert, so if you like it, go for it.

For one thing, this jars me when reading it.  For another, if the
original author intended to use "base" in the meaning you suggest, he
would have made a symbol "accDiscantbase" rather than "accDiscant".
"Discantbase", again, would read jarringly since the principal sides of
the accordion are discant and bass.

So I am reasonably sure to catch the original intent with this change
unless it was supposed to be some kind of pun.  But then the pun should
have been on the discant as well.

Note than "stdbass" is actually kind of ambiguous: it can be read both
as "standard bass" and "Stradella bass" (both of which would be
accurate).

http://codereview.appspot.com/1908041/show