Re: Doc: NR: Move "Modifying alists" from 4.1.2 to 5.3. (issue2767043)

From: percival . music . ca
Subject: Re: Doc: NR: Move "Modifying alists" from 4.1.2 to 5.3. (issue2767043)
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 18:15:43 +0000

On 2010/11/02 11:58:20, Carl wrote:
Maybe the solution is to show the modification of nested-alist
properties
*other* than spacing alists.

I like that idea.

Showing one or more of these in order to demonstrate the various
methods might
be more useful than using the spacing alists which are set in a \paper
block.

+1

Mark: I definitely like the current version of the docs, and if Carl
hasn't made that suggestion, I'd say LGTM.  But it would be really nice
to have 4-5 bars of (the same) music, just changing the alist with each
method.

The "\paper variables being ignored within @lilypond" is unfortunate...
IIRC a cheap way around that is to use \book{}, but then we get a "full
page" of output, which kind-of asks for a [line-width] option to avoid
taking up so much space, and generally all sorts of mess occurs.  :(

It's something that we need to tackle eventually, but if we could it for
the alist definition, I'd prefer that solution.  Besides, if we can show
the alist modification with a single bar of music, then it'll be easier
for people to quickly scan the output, see the differences, then look at
the input to see how it was done.  Such comparisons are a bit more
difficult if you have to scroll back and forth to see spacing alist
changes.

http://codereview.appspot.com/2767043/