Re: translators / engravers / performers

From: David Santamauro
Subject: Re: translators / engravers / performers
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:41:47 -0500

Hi,

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 16:59:26 +0100
Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Freitag, 26. November 2010, um 15:48:01 schrieben Sie:
> > a) ... possibly? do something so that my new event-representing
> > symbols are recognized by the parser
>
> No need for that. In d) you create the lilypond symbols/variables
> that insert those events into the music.

Fantastic ...

> > b) add my new event to the list of span-event in
> > scm/define-event-classes.scm
> >
> > c) add an event "ModulationEvent" in scm/define-music-types.scm as
> >
> > (ModulationEvent
> >   . (( description . "Execute a MIDI modulation swell.")
> >      ( types . (general-music span-event modulation-event) )
> >     )
> > )
> >
> > d) add a definition in ly/spanners-init.ly, e.g.,
> > modulationStop = #(make-span-event 'ModulationEvent STOP)
> > modulationStart = #(make-span-event 'ModulationEvent START)
> >
> > e) write my class Modulation_Performer
>
> Exactly.

Super ...

> BTW, I just realized the Contributor's Guide already contains a nice
> section on engravers:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/engraver-tutorial

There is always something to be missed.

For my own edification, I made the above mentioned changes to my
sandbox, compiled and used \modulationStart \modulationStop in a test
ly without problems ... pretty sweet. Of course, my performer does
nothing ... but that is a problem for the future ...

Thanks kindly

David